And anything else
that may be of
St Mary's Church Swillington
There has been a church here for at least 900 years. The Doomsday Survey of 1086 tells us that 'a church is there' but no records of that building remain.
The church you see today is a Grade 2* listed building, over 600 years old, built around 1360. It is in need of repairs, especially the nave roof, estimated to cost around £250,000.
The most striking EXTERNAL feature is the contrast between the dark tower and the creamy yellow of the rest of the church. The TOWER was renovated in 1883/84 the belfry stage being re-
East of the porch, on the south wall. A SCRATCH DIAL or MASS CLOCK can be seen. Lines radiate from a central hole which would formerly have contained a gnomon, the shadow of which would have shown the times of morning and evening services, including 9. a.m. which during the middle ages was the time of the Parish Mass.
The NAVE and CHANCEL were probably built around the first structure in 1360, in the reign of Edward III. This was during the Hundred Years War, just before the Peasant's Revolt and about the time of John Wycliffe's attempts to bring reform to the church in England. The TOWER was added approximately a century later.
In the CHANCEL there is a Priests doorway in the south wall, where there are three SEDILIA or seats, possibly dating from the fifteenth century. There is also a PISCINA or sink. The High Altar here was dedicated to All Hallows or All Saints.
The OAK ROOF of the chancel was given by Mary Frances Alice Lowther of Swillington House in 1902.
The VESTRY was re-
The ORGAN was given by E. Leather esq. of Leventhorpe Hall. Built by Hill & Son of London, it was dedicated by Bishop William Boyd Carpenter, the then Bishop of Ripon, on December 14th 1887. The organ was re-
The chapel in the SOUTH AISLE was dedicated to St. Nicholas, and became the Lowther Pew, used by the Lowther family of Swillington House, Lords of the manor of Swillington and, until 1924, patrons of the Living. In 1890, fifteen coffins were removed from the Lowther vaults beneath their pew, and re-
A frosty morning in
Ven. Dealtry is credited with the introduction of the custom of throwing confetti over the bride and groom at a wedding.
Apparently the practice originates in the Hindu custom of the bridegroom throwing 3 handfuls of rice over his bride and she doing the same to him, as a symbol of fertility. That custom, which later became confetti rather than rice, was introduced in Swillington by Ven. Thomas Dealtry who was Rector here from 1872 to 1878. He had previously spent his ministry in India, where he became Archdeacon of Madras. He was also Chaplain to the East India Company and through that made the acquaintance of some members of the Lowther family. It was through their influence that when the East India Company collapsed and Dealtry wanted to return to England, he was appointed as Rector of Swillington